Saturday, March 7, 2009

Two artists that I admire

" Leo and His Ladies"

What does a flock of chickens have to do with the title of this blog entry? Let me explain the convoluted connection. This feisty, handsome, blond rooster lives in North Danville, Vermont, in a coop on my son Jeff's family property. I will never forget the day he attacked me as I went unsuspectingly down the steps from the porch and landed his spur in the front of my shin. Jeff had to rescue a screaming and bleeding mom from Leo. He does protect his flock and he is gorgeous. When there are extra eggs in the summer, granddaughter Kelly sets up the honor stand with it's bright sign, "Leo's Ladies Eggs." Some devoted patrons make their trek up the back roads to buy all they can get. I painted this picture one year for Beth's birthday and it hangs on a kitchen wall. Today I want to talk about two great artists, and one of whom paints handsome Vermont roosters.

Check out the work of two artists that I greatly admire: Jean Pederson and Annelein Beukenkamp. I'm hoping to get them onto the West Coast for workshops.

Jean is a wonderful artist from Calgary, Canada, who paints in various watermedia. Her book "Expressive Portraits" is a terrific resource, especially if you like to paint people. I first learned of Jean through articles in art magazines. When she published her book, it went right on my Christmas list. Jean not only paints people, but she also does gorgeous still lifes and landscapes. You can check out her website here:

http://www.jeanpederson.com/

A link to Jean's blog is on my list of blogs to the right so you can keep up with her latest works.

Annelein I found through Myrna Wacknov's blog. Myrna loves her work and so do I. Annelein paints in transparent layers. You have the sensation of seeing through objects. She often paints from the perspective of looking down on the objects. Recently she began experimenting in oils, though she hasn't posted any yet. The fact that Annelein lives in the state of Vermont where I grew up and where my sons and much family live just makes her ever more special to me. Annelein does lots of florals, roosters, and landscapes. She is very accomplished and has licensed her work to some prominent businesses and organizations. You will find her website here:

You can link to Annelein's blog from my list of blogs to the right.

I head to Washington, DC, tonight for the League of American Bicyclists Bike Summit 2009. Bob and I are instructors and coaches for the League, and in the time of diminishing resources, we are big believers in bicycles for transportation. (We practice our beliefs - we carried home a $130 worth of groceries with our bikes the other day.) We will be meeting with members of Congress to focus on transportation accommodations. I will likely not post anything until my return the following week.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love Leo even though he should have been put on probation for hurting you. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to look at Annelein's work. I love her roosters and floral work. You might want to double check the other link Mary. I kept getting a message that it was broken. hugs!

Mary Paquet said...

Thanks, Sheila, and I keep trying to figure out why that link won't work. I'll get to the bottom on that soon, I hope.

Being an animal lover, I admire Leo for his spunk, but I have a healthy dose of respect and some fear if he is loose in the yard!