Monday, March 23, 2009

Painting from the Maine Coast

"Breakfast at Five Gables Inn"


I've been super busy teaching cycling and ballroom dancing, having so much fun that I haven't had time to paint. I had hoped to feature the results of my first try at pastels in our drawing class this morning, which was coming along nicely until I applied fixative (apparently incorrectly) and it just melted the lovely color. Back to the drawing board really applies here. I will rework it next week in class. I haven't invested in any pastels yet, but there is something very satisfying about working with them. It takes me back to my childhood love of coloring, though doing pastels is quite a bit more demanding!


This is one my favorite oldies from a few years back. Five Gables Inn is a charming spot on the coast of Maine in East Boothbay. I went several years ago without Bob, so this time Bob and I checked in for four days after crossing the USA on our tandem bicycle. It's truly the most pleasant B&B I've stayed in. I love the porch where people spend hours reading and relaxing, and you can take your breakfast there if you want. This picture shows a somewhat foggy, yet mild, morning on the coast in late September, and my friend and I enjoyed our breakfast at the table in the foreground. Bob got to have this same pleasant experience last summer. They are getting a free ad here -- check it out: http://fivegablesinn.rtrk.com/

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I had when that happens! (referring to the fixative on finished work) I've lifted paintings and watch it slip slow motion (slow motion of course) as it lands on the floor. This Maine painting is LOVELY!

Mary Paquet said...

Sheila, thanks for checking out the Maine painting. I did hate ruining the pastel with fixative, but it's a lesson learned. I will likely redo next Monday.

Mary Paquet said...

I sent a link to the owneers of Five Gables Inn. Here is their response.

Dear Mary,
The painting is lovely! Thank you so much for those kind words and for providing the link to our site. VERY nice of you.
Hope to see you and Bob here again before too long.

Thanks again.

De