Monday, April 27, 2009

A busy week

"Onion"
Charcoal and conte

The post-wedding week has been very busy with cleanup, gift transport, ballroom dancing, teaching cycling on a 50-miler, and preparing for Open Studios. Plus, I've had some computer problems, which Bob has worked on for me. Nice having my own system administrator.


Our drawing instructor, Bob Semans, returned from Washington, DC, with good news that he received the People's Choice award at the Portrait Society of America International Competition at their annual conference. We are very proud of him. He set us back to work on simpler shapes using some onions. I chose to do just one and use just charcoal and conte, rather than pastel, to focus on the values without the distraction of color. However, the color is very seductive and I will likely go back to pastels next week.


My house is in a upheaval with frames, matboard, and art pieces all over the livingroom and diningroom. Bob will begin cutting mats tomorrow and I will be doing the framing. I've been sending out invitations to Open Studios and stopping by local shops to put out flyers. I hope to get back to painting tomorrow. I've been reading a wonderful book I bought, Nita Leland's Confident Color. I have learned a lot from my first pass. Now I want to go back and do the exercises, especially making color wheels for various pallettes and experiment with color schemes. Mike Bailey has some paintings in this book; he is a real master of color. Mike brought these very paintings into our class when I took Watercolor Beyond the Obvious; so I easily spotted his work in the book. Incidentally, SCVWS will be offering Mike's WBTO class again in the fall if you care to enroll. http://www.scvws.org


8 comments:

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Cool drawing; isn't if fun to do some simple drawings from time to time?

Mary Paquet said...

Peggy, thanks for your encouragement. It sure is nice to work at something simple so I can really work on the values and making the item look three-dimensional.

Unknown said...

How exciting for you to participating in the Open Studio weekends! Which weekend are you set for? I think this is the biggest one I've ever seen.

Mary Paquet said...

Hi, Sheila. Open Studios is exciting. I have five other artists showing with me at my home on May 9 and 10. We are located pretty far south in San Jose (south of Bernal Road off 101 and Highway 85). We've been warned we won't get much foot traffic so we've been doing lots of advertising. Maybe you can stop by and visit us. You will recognize some of the work from this blog.

simoart said...

Hi
Congratulations, you are having an open Open Studio weekend. I wish you the best and wish you lots of traffic.

Mary Paquet said...

Thanks so much, Simoart, for your best wishes. I admire you so much for promoting Arthur's art. He is very talented, and you help us see the amazing art that is created from someone with a different perspective on life.

theresamillerwatercolors said...

Hi Mary! Your house looks like mine as I am getting ready for the show at the UN, hee hee. I do like matting and framing, so no complaints there... good luck to you in your open studio events! BTW, i love that charcoal onion very much!

Mary Paquet said...

Theresa, good luck with the UN show. I am so impressed with your venue!! I kind of like the framing myself, so no complaints here. When I finish this week's onion and garlic (we do odiferous still lifes), I will post it as well.