Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spring Roses at Drawing Class

"Spring Roses"
12" x 15" Pastel

Though I've been going to drawing classes at least 2 to3 times a month, I have not been able to finish a piece enough to post. Yesterday we tackled a floral bouquet, which we have not done in a long time. Bob's recommended approach is somewhat impressionistic. Get down the drape and background. Mass in the colors in solid tones, dividing the values. Add minimal detail along the edges of the bouquet. Midway he had to come by and show me that I really needed to push the dark values much more. Once he suggested that, I was more successful. We hope that he remembers to bring another floral next week, as I would like to try again.

5 comments:

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Hi Mary, I can't help it, every time I see your work from this class I wish I could be there with you. I think this is a wonderful piece; I particularly like the vase, the shadows, the shape of the floral arrangement...oh! I like it! Well done!

Mary Paquet said...

Peggy, I sure wish you could be here, too. That would be so wonderful! Thanks for the encouragement.

Autumn Leaves said...

One of your best yet, Mary. Look at how beautifully you've handled that clear glass too! Wonderful!

Mary Paquet said...

Sherry, up until 15 minutes before I left class, I was convinced I had a failure on my hands, but then managed to pull it together. I felt I was most successful with the glass vase.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Mary, this is lovely.