Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Blog Award and Another Workshop Painting

"Flirtatious Peonies"
19" x 15"


While I was on vacation, I received the "Passion for Painting" blog award from Megha Chhatbar who is a wonderful pencil artist and photographer living in India. Take the link on the right to see her cheerful work. The award was developed by Kim Ratigan, a watercolor and pencil artist specializing in pet portraits. According to the terms of the award, I add a link to the blog of the person who gave it to me, I list my favorite seven things, and I pass the award on to seven artists I admire.

You will see that I added the award in the right frame, along with my seven favorite things related to art. Now I am passing the award along to seven artists that I admire (some who, like some winners of Oscars, might already have received this award from others):

Arthur Simo
Sheila
Peggy StermerCox
Nancy Eaton Dunnelon
Barbara joan
Annelein Beukenkamp
Theresa Miller

"Flirtatious Peonies" was the first piece I started in Annelein Beukenkamp's workshop. It was done from one of her photos and I spent about 45 minutes in class. I went back yesterday and today to complete the piece. The title comes from a poem written by one of the artists in attendance who read it to us. The poem created an image of peonies as the flirts of the flower world. I wish I could recall the artist's name as she could paint with words and watercolors -- very multi-talented. This piece is much more highly saturated color than "Glamorous Peonies," thus I think the title fits it well. I find myself more fond of the supporting actor in the right corner than the star at center.




6 comments:

Annelein said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks for the award nod and the nice write-up about your experience at the workshop! I'm posting the demo piece I did during the workshop tomorrow on my blog...The one you linked to on your earlier post was a painting I did last year. Glad you're home again and enjoyed your time in Vermont, it was a pleasure to meet you!

Mary Paquet said...

Annelein, thanks for checking in. I will change the link when you post the painting from this year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, Thank you and I'm honored to receive the blog award! I like your peonies. I think they make an interesting division of the picture plane, besides being festive!

Mary Paquet said...

Peggy, thanks for your peonies comment. You definitely deserve the award -- such a passion for painting and drawing!

Barbra Joan said...

Mary, your painting is outstanding, You are one of the artists I truly admire. Thanks for the Passion for Painting Award ( yes I did receive it earlier) and coming from you is really appreciated. Glad your home and had a wonderful experience.

Mary Paquet said...

Thanks, Barbara. You really deserve the award. I appreciate your support and friendship.