Thursday, August 30, 2012

The final pass on my second collage

 

"Edgy Wine"
Final Collaged Stilllife completed in Derek Gores Workshop
 

 
Ha! I thought I was done. Derek got us together and talked about making our edges more interesting, breaking the edges, and using lots of variation. Notice the broken line of the table formed by a row of women, the interesting yellow shapes, the addition of lots of people. Derek says the variations are little surprises for our viewer. Completing this piece, including finishing the sides with collaged greens, took until after 1! You can view yesterday's version. Definitely this one is much more fun. I like the yellow person in the wine glass. This type of collage can really engage the viewer.
 
We had a lovely show/critique to finish up the workshop. Several people from our society dropped in to see the art and bemoan the fact they did not take the workshop. Our volunteeer takedown crew got to enjoy the final showing before breaking down the room .  Here is Derek talking about my work.
 
 
Derek Gores critiquing my work

7 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I think your work is exquisite in these pieces, Mary. It definitely looks like it was an amazing workshop too.

hmuxo said...

Love this collage, Mary! It looks like it takes a lot of patience!! Beautiful piece!

Ruth Armitage said...

I've enjoyed watching your progression here! It looks like it was a fun class & you've come up with a couple of very nice pieces. Congratulations! Do you think this is something you will continue working with after the workshop is over?

Mary Paquet said...

Ruth, thanks for watching my struggle. Those of us who took the class had a wonderful experience. The work is actually very exhausting--the mind is working on finding the right pieces to engage the viewer. Derek warned us it would be. However, I really like the results and do want to try more. I won't have time for the next several weeks, but watch this space after that.

I've been trying to think how to fit this into my art and how to make it my own. I will continue to ruminate on that. I'm pretty sure it's not the only art I will do, but I will definitely do more. I have a piece I would like to tackle of my granddaughter riding her white horse in a gymkhana.

My designer for my home remodel was here this morning and just loved the two pieces. She even talked of having me do one for her own home.

Nina Jørgensen said...

These are cool, working with paper!! But hey, when you said you were coming to my area in september, whereabouts are you referring to? :)

Mary Paquet said...

Nina, I will send you a note on your blog.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.