Friday, April 13, 2018

Camellias on My Mind


"Happy"
12" x 12" Mixed Media


A few of my faithful bloggers have wondered where I have been. Bob and I have dedicated a lot of time to seeing the world the last few years (well, parts of it), with a month in Australia in January/February our most recent adventure. It has been difficult to get a solid block of time for art, and even less for blogging about it. However, when I am in town I have continued to take my Monday morning drawing class weekly and I paint every Thursday night with fellow artists that I met in my first art classes at a community center. So I do have some art to post.

I am starting here with one I finished yesterday and began three weeks ago on a Thursday night. I have a gorgeous Camellia bush on the side of the house that begins blooming early in the year and finishes just about now. In fact this is one of the last blooms. It took me quite a while to hand draw this small painting, but I felt I had to be accurate to do it justice. The flower and leaves are all watercolor, but I was not happy with my background and in desperation,  I pulled out my acrylics to complete the painting. I was going for simplicity with some suggestion of light ad shadow.

Stay tuned for more posts.

5 comments:

Barbra Joan said...

Oh Mary, I am so glad to see you... I still think about you, and wondered where in the world you are now? lol But I do know you and Bob travel a lot .
Your painting is right on target, flowers always being one of my favorites.
Happy Travels to you.

hmuxo said...

So glad to seeing you blogging again, Mary. This flower is beautifully painted and I like that you used Acrylic as well...it adds richness to the piece... I'm seeing more and more flowers now...Spring has finally arrived...

Mary Paquet said...

Barbra Joan, so nice to hear from you. I will be checking out your blog tomorrow. We are off to a lobster feed at a local winery in just a few minutes.

Mary Paquet said...

Hilda, thanks for the kind words, Spring does bring out a need to paint flowers. I am working on another of Peruvian Lillies from my garden.

Candy said...

I'm so glad that you guys are having so much fun! The camellia is gorgeous!