Friday, January 8, 2010

2010 Art Goals and a couple sketches

Mary - 1/8
Elegant Writer Pen

Bob - 1/7
Sharpie on Yellow Pages

I reviewed last year's goals, and found I met all of them with the exception of sketching daily. I probably sketched 3 or 4 times a week. So this year's goals are set: 1) Sketch daily; 2) Create two finished pieces of art per month; 3) Join a critique group; and 4) Participate in 3 art shows.

Actually, I've already failed to meet goal #1, but it's a worthy goal and I intend to keep plugging away at it. Here are two of my daily sketches. I don't have a good way of capturing my image so I used a photograph from Bob's daughter Jamie's wedding in April. The likeness is reasonable. I fight the desire to make myself less wrinkled than I am! I love the honesty of Myrna Wacknov's self-portraits that portray an attractive, mature, intelligent artist. (Please excuse the date error - it was done today, 2010.) I sketched Bob as he sat in his favorite chair. I hope to improve on capturing his likeness as I continue to use him as one of my favorite life subjects.

At first I was doing the sketches on an old Yellow Pages, but I decided that using a new sketch book would be more pleasing. I'm going to use some different implements and different design techniques to do the sketches. Tomorrow will be vine charcoal.

4 comments:

PAMO said...

You are an inspiration Mary! Be sure to check your date on sketch number 1 : ))- I've been doing it as well- writing '09. A new sketch book is definitely deserved- although I think it's a great use of the phone book! Thanks for the idea.

Mary Paquet said...

Pam, you are right, I'm stuck in 2009! A whole new decade and I'm missing out.

The idea for the phone book actually came from Myrna Wacknov on her blog last year. She is so creative!

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Hi Mary, I'm so glad to see your drawings! I was thinking today that I might have to spend some time on self-portraits this year. Good for your for tackling portraits right off the bat! Wonderful drawings!

Mary Paquet said...

Peggy, thanks. I figure it's a good discipline and I'm taking Myrna's workshop in a week!