Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Hi Tech, Low Tech"
7' x 10"
Watercolor
Plein Air Painting in Downtown San Jose

Today was sunny with a chill in the air. Bob had seen some lovely old houses around Delmas and San Fernando Streets in downtown San Jose when riding Light Rail. He suggested that we take our small folding bikes and go via Light Rail and bike to photograph and paint. While Bob wandered a couple streets and shot photos, I sat in a small park and painted using my tiny Koi pan set with waterbrush.

I was captivated by the scene of the old Delmas Market with a very pretty home behind it. This scene is backed by modern high rises, one of which houses the Adobe company, one of the many high tech companies here that are household names around the world. Think Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Reader. We have such an interesting mix of historic homes and businesses and the very newest architecture and companies. I did not realize until later that Bob had taken a few photos of me beside our bicycles deeply involved in painting this scene.

Tomorrow I get to have another plein air outing with the watercolor society Thursday morning group. We are traveling south of my home about 10 miles to Morgan Hill, a pretty little agricultural town that grew with the tech industry. We will be painting the historic Granada Theater on main street, encouraged by the group attempting to save the theater from demolition. More to follow.

9 comments:

FitFoodieMegha said...

Great going Mary! Keep it up! Beautiful plein air painting. I would love to see more of them.

Charlene Brown said...

I share your fascination with juxtapositions of architectural style, but have always found the composition and handling of what seem like random perspectives too daunting for 'on location' painting. This is beautifuly done, Mary.

Marie Theron said...

Hi Mary, difficult paints to work with, but you have done it so well! I admire you with all the riding you do!

Nancy Eaton said...

Great plein air, Mary! I wish I could do as well.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Mary, I really admire your plein air work. I have never done any plein air painting...my drawing skills are probably not good enough.

I love how you painted in the windows in the high rise building!

Barbra Joan said...

Well Mary, you've been a busy lady. I feel as though I just visited here a day ago and you've done so much .. I see your show pics and all that follow. Plein -air is especially intriguing to me as I've done very little of that. Maybe in my 'next life'? lol. Keep up that tremendous enthusiasm as I have said before, you inspire me. !!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, Cool painting and interesting subject! I'm so impressed at how you manage your time; you're engaged in interesting projects.

Barb Sailor said...

I am so envious that you are able to get out and paint en plein air - what a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the outdoors while creating art. Great work, too!

Mary Paquet said...

Friends, thanks so much for all your nice comments. I've been so busy that I haven't had time to visit blogs. I will be catching up with you.