Saturday, May 26, 2018

Travel Sketch in Australia

"Entrance to Sydney Harbor"
9" x 5" watercolor sketch
We left for Australia January 21 and returned home on February 18. We mixed it up, spending 8 nights in a studio apartment with gorgeous Opera House and harbor views, taking the Indian Pacific Railway for four days, three nights across the continent to Perth for a few days; then boarded a Crystal Cruise back to Sydney by way of the West and Southern Coasts, Melbourne and Tasmania.

I used to be much more motivated to do travel sketches and I don't know why I was not on this trip. Maybe because we are traveling so much. On our first full day in Sydney, we took a bus tour around the city to get the lay of the land. We stopped at the entrance to the very impressive harbor. A few days later we took a ferry to Manley past this spot. I usually take photos and do the sketch later in my room. I did just one other sketch on this trip.  As we left Tasmania, I captured a photo of impressive storm clouds against the rugged coast from our dining table.

W are traveling again, so I will post this piece that I drafted sometime ago. I promise more to come.

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

A beautiful watercolor sketch, Mary. Sounds like you had a wonderful time... I look forward to seeing more of your sketches....
Enjoy your day!!!!

Candy said...

Nice little sketch, Mary! I'm so glad you guys are having fun. When you have time, please tell us what Tasmania was like. I wonder where you guys are off to now...