Saturday, November 19, 2016

Gwen Fox Critique Group: Getting Started with an Abstract


          

                  My abstract, "Dreaming in Color"
Actylic on paper


Picasso's "The Dream"

Gwen talked about a good way to start an abstract. Select a painting by a famous artist and use some of the arrangement of shapes as your starting sketch. I chose Picasso's "The Dream" done in 1932. I used acrylics on watercolor paper. I should rework it somewhat and haven't done it yet. I identified two problem areas, the highly eyecatching green shape on top and the lack of variation in the he sizes of the shapes on the right side. Gwen agreed. However, I had a blast painting this piece.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Mary, it's fascinating to see the Picasso you used as a springboard and the distinctly different piece you produced adapting some of the shapes. Thank you for sharing your assessment of the work so far; I hope you share the eventual result with us if you decide to make revisions.

Mary Paquet said...

Mary, thank you. I really want to do more experimentation with abstracts. I have a few more that I will post in the next few days. Maybe I will drag out my acrylics and fix this one. I promise to repost when I do.

hmuxo said...

This is fantastic paintings Mary! I would love to see the changes as well! LOVE these!!!!

Mary Paquet said...

Thanks so much, Hilda. I will pull it back out and make the changes.