Saturday, November 8, 2014

Experimenting with Acrylic Underpaintings



"Rocky Mountains"
10" x 13" Watercolor
During art group Thursday evening, I decided to try using an acrylic underpainting as Gwen Fox suggested. I also saw Stephen Quiller demo this method on Sunday for SCVWS. He toned his paper with cadmium yellow light and medium, then drew his image on top and painted in watercolor. You can see his work midway through the demo. The nice thing is you can easily lift back to the yellow, which he did on the tree trunks and then used a brilliant orange on them.
 

 
Stephen Quiller mid-demo

I had a half-done painting that was not pleasing me, so I gessoed over it. I could still see shadows of shapes underneath. I decided to just go with those shapes and create my own scene using blues, yellows, orange, and green. Though I don't consider this painting highly successful, I can see that I might like to do more mixing of watermedia.
 

4 comments:

hmuxo said...

You painted Rocky Mountains SO beautifully, Mary. I love it.. and I didn't know you can paint watercolor on acrylic.

Autumn Leaves said...

I would call this highly successful, Mary. The underpainting has given the piece an aged appearance, one that you get with either paper yellowing over time or varnish crackling and aging over time. Such a unique way of getting this look! I can never get enough color saturation when I paint over gesso. Hmmm...

Christiane Kingsley said...

What a great idea, Mary. I really like your painting.
You are very fortunate to have the opportunity to participate in so many workshops with great instructors.

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Hi Mary,
I think you're on to something here. I like the atmosphere you've created. Plus, the underpainting gives it a sense of unity. The yellow kind of reminds me of the Hudson River School. Wonderful.