Thursday, December 12, 2013

Monday Morning Drawing: Turkish Treasures and Colandars


"Turkish Treasures"
14" x 12" Pastel
 
 
"Fall Cooking
14"" x 12" Pastel

Bob brought in this wonderful Turkish pitcher, the colendar, and fruit. This was something of a challenge to do. I had to put a few finishing touches on it at home with soft pastels. 

My Sennelier pastels arrived so I used them to finish "Fall Cooking" which I had started in the previous week's class. I won't be taking this 120 piece set of pastels to class because I have a tendency to fumble them and they land on the floor. That is never a happy experience. Bob tells me that I am turning out some nice pastels. I have finally learned that I do best if I use a dark pastel paper and immediately put in my background and the highlights. Then my values work better for me. One of my biggest challenges in pastels is getting enough chroma. I pick up what looks like the right color and it often lacks enough saturation strength. I'm learning, though.
 
We have had a cold streak here. I know that most of you live in colder areas than I and will have no sympathy! I would not either if I was in my native Vermont. I am debating my usual bike to gym and have talked myself out of it because it is 32 degrees. Below 32 I definitely drive the car, and its been in the twenties each morning when I leave the house before 6 a.m. We can get ice because the thermometer probably dipped lower.

Time to dig out the Christmas decorations as we have the Southbay Recorder Society, one of Bob's music groups, coming for their holiday party on Friday night. I get to be an audience and a host and look forward to enjoying the music.

4 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I think your pastels are always fabulous, Mary. These two pieces are no exception. I found myself especially studying the colors you used to make up the copper of the pot. Wonderfully done!! I lived in Turkey for three years and it is cool to see one of their pitchers in your painting. I think and hope you have a blast at your husband's Christmas party in your home Friday.

Mary Paquet said...

Sharry, getting the color is a challenge in pastels. I used some fairly dark sienna and some greys.. The pot was worn almost to silver in places. The highligts are a shade of yellow-gold. I first had them a light cream and that did not capture the warm glow. The nice thing with pastels is the ability to change things

Barbra Joan said...

Mary, I knew your pastels were outstanding from way back.
I've always thought so..
Enjoy that set of Pastels.
Merry Christmas
Barbra Joan ..

Mary Paquet said...

Hi, Joan. You are very generous with your comments.