Friday, November 8, 2013

November in the Vineyards

"November Morning at Byington Winery"
10 x 13 Watercolor


"Artist at Work"
10" x 14" Watercolor


"November in Byington Vineyards"
10" x 14" Watercolor

A gorgeous Northern California November day greeted the Santa Clara Valley Watercolor Society (SCVWS)  Paintsites group at Byington Winery in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Upon arrival, I did not even wander the beautiful grounds with fabulous chateau after spotting the breathtaking view of Monterey Peninsula from a picnic table. The overcast was still over the ocean, soon to be replaced by glorious cobalt blue skies. I loved the landscape shapes as the mountains marched to the sea. I covered the entire paper with my first wash, with the exception of the sea. I am a must do person and find it hard to wait for things to dry, so there are a couple happy accidents in the top third that I think enhanced the painting. In this first layer I was able to capture "the planes of recession" as Maggie Siner taught us in Provence. I exaggerated the oranges and yellows that were visible, and selected a few trees to be the darks. Varying the greens is always a challenge in landscapes.

After taking time to wander the beautiful grounds, I moved to a nearby table to paint a far off view of an artist with her easel capturing the beauty of the vineyards. An olive tree dominates the left front, and colorful shapes suggest the orange-yellow vines and burnt sienna soil. Distinctive evergreen shapes completed the scene.

It was now 1 pm and we met to enjoy our picnic lunches and did a show and tell. Unfortunately, the shadows fell on the paintings so the show pictures are not worthy of display. You will have to check out the paintsites blog. I was carpooling so I stayed longer than usual, and began a third painting. A couple of the artists had done wonderful work on vines, so I to painted the vineyards on the hillside. I was joined by John, a new member, who was thoroughly enjoying himself. He joined our society because he likes plein air painting. He found the group very welcoming. I was not quite done when we were ready to leave about 2:45, so I completed work on this piece at my Thursday night South Side Art Club weekly session.

5 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I think these three are my favorites of all your watercolors and they are so beautiful, Mary. I never seem to have happy accidents. Just plain ol' accidents that ruin a piece for me. LOL

John Ediger said...

Hi Mary! Love your paintings. I did have a wonderful time and it was a beautiful day.

John

Mary Paquet said...

Sheri, thanks so much. I love shapes in landscapes and using minimal symbols to express the sense of place.

Mary Paquet said...

John, it was great having you join the group. We have such grat places to pInt and enjoy the energy of our fellow artists.

Candy said...

Hi, Mary! More lovely paintings! It sounds like you had a wonderful day and it certainly was productive!