Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Monday Morning Drawing Class with Buckeyes

"Pitcher and Buckeyes"
12' X 15" Pastel
 
 
A brief intermission from our travels to show you my Monday Morning drawing. I played with all the adjustment options, but the chroma is just not like the painting. Sorry about that as our instructor told me the pitcher is one of the best pastel objects I've done. I love the clay fired pitcher, a real beauty with natural burnt sienna and hints of green.

Wikipedia has some neat information on Buckeyes. The native Americans used the poisonous nut to stun fish. They also found a way to leach the toxin and use the nuts for making flour. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesculus_californica

 
The tree should not be planted near aviaries as the toxin will kill the bees. 

3 comments:

hw (hallie) farber said...

This is a wonderful pitcher in this picture. I'm impressed with your using red and green, AND maintaining the shape of the pitcher. Good work.

Mary Paquet said...

Thanks, hallie. Instructor Bob started using a light box, which makes for dramatic light. It helps with seeing form shadows and challenges us to differentiate values so our viewer can still see the pitcher,

Autumn Leaves said...

I absolutely believe pastels are your forte; they are ALWAYS so beautiful and this is no exception. I love the colors of the little ewer.