Thursday, October 14, 2010

Delayed Monday Morning Drawing Class Report

"Peach and Plums"
11 x 14"
Pastel

With hanging shows and then needing to catch my breath, I did not post my Monday morning class drawing. I like the results of my work on the fruit. The plum on the right was a rich deep color and the one on the left was a bit more reddish and translucent. I like the dark core shadow on the peach. The cloth, though, doesn't suit me, at least not yet. It was a white linen cloth and instructor Bob Semans created lots of folds. Part of it drapes over the edge of the table into shadow. We all struggled with rendering folds, so next week Bob will bring a paper bag that he will crumple, and he will demo his approach.

6 comments:

Charlene Brown said...

I came back here to tell you how impressed I was with the hanging of Les Trois Artists, especially the title wall, and now I've found you have another post up already! I was so taken by the perfection of the various surfaces on the fruit, that I didn't even notice the shading and draping of the cloth that you aren't happy with. Now, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the crumpled paper bag -- isn't it great that Bob will custom-design the classes!

Unknown said...

Wonderful! I love the white cloth - it reads like waves of the sea and adds an interesting layer of meaning to the work.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I really like this, Mary--the fruit and the cloth. My most memorable class (in 1968) dealt with drawing a paper bag--I still have the drawing. It helped me "see."

Mary Paquet said...

Charlene, thanks so much -- yes, Bob's class is really unique and wonderful.

Kathy, you are so wonderful in "seeing" beneath the surface.

Hallie, that's definitely what I need to do is "see." Bob often talks of overmodeling, easy to do on draped cloth. At least I managed not to overmodel, and Kathy's take is very encouraging!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, Another splendid study from your Monday class. I look forward to seeing and reading what you learn about drapery. In Nicolaides book he has a great description about drapery. It helps me to visualize the planes of the cloth in over simplified terms, side, top, side, bottom, like corrugated cardboard. Cezanne plastered his drapery so it would be stiff enough to hold the planes...as in dipped the drapery in plaster to let it harden. Starch wasn't stiff enough. I always thought that was humorous. OOpps, getting carried away!

Mary Paquet said...

Peggy, what great information. I must check our the book. I hadn't heard the Cezanne story. That is both very interesting and humorous!