Friday, June 25, 2010

Island Eccos hit the pavement in Oslo


"My New Eccos"
10-minute graphite sketch


Yesterday, just before checking out of the CabInn in Copenhagen after attending the Velo Global 2010 conference, I plopped my feet on the bed and did as Hallie suggested -- I sketched my new sandals purchased on the Danish island of Aero in the tiny town of Mastral. Picture black leather and red toenails. I am terribly boring when I buy shoes. I needed to be able to walk miles and I bought this same style in bone suede about 6 years ago and they are still in good shape, but alas, they are not here. I know they work well with my narrow foot because the straps all adjust with velcro.

We took the overnight ferry (17:00 to 9:30) to Oslo. It's really a cruise ship and I used my Eurail pass discount to get a top line room, huge, stocked with fruit, champagne, and waters, included access to a special lounge complete with snacks and drinks, and a breakfast buffet in a special restaurant. It was a real steal and we felt like we were rich and famous! We got to watch Denmark play football against Japan in the world championships and mourned the loss with the locals; then we danced to live music. This morning we were treated to a spectacular entry into Norway through many islands. The Eccos hit the pavement as we continue our adventure.

7 comments:

FitFoodieMegha said...

It is just amazing Mary! Such detailed sketch and that in so less time.
Your trip in cruise must be superb! Enjoy dear!

Autumn Leaves said...

Great sketch, Mary! I am quite envious of your trip. So glad to hear you are having such a fabulous time!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Great job on the Eccos, Mary. What would we narrow-footed people do without adjustable straps?

Sounds like a fascinating trip; I look forward to beautiful paintings of Denmark (and of Bob).

Anonymous said...

OOOHHH! I need a pair of those!!! Your trip is luscious!!!

Anonymous said...

Seriously envious Mary! I hope you enjoy Oslo and you have fun in the land of the Midnight Sun! I look forward to seeing and reading more about your trip.

Mary Paquet said...

Friends, thanks for visiting. I have so little time for art and for my blog. I will try to post a bit more as we continue our travels.

Claire M said...

Fun to hear about your trip and the need for sturdy shoes. My middle son, the architecture student, is headed to Copenhagen in August to study next year. He has already mentioned the need to get sturdy shoes because of the cobblestones. How interesting for me to then find references on your blog! Small world!