Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sketching on the bus - Ancient Viking Burial Ship

Sketch of Viking Burial Ship from the 9th Century

We have traveled a lot in the last two days. Track repairs required a bus bridge to a train, so we were driven about 3 hours into Sweden this morning and put on a train to Stockholm. Bob and I got wedged into the next to last row, with a wet German Shepard under the seat behind us and next to the busy bathroom. I was delighted to relinquish the olfactory embellishments when we arrived at a train station and left the bus.

To occupy myself on the bus, I looked at some photos on my camera from the awesome Viking Ship Museum and did a graphite sketch. The bus was jostling me around, so the results are a bit crude. The museum is one of several on the island of Bygdoy. We took a boat using our Oslo City Pass and returned via bus.

Three ships were found in burial mounds and dated back to the 9th and 10th century. A wealthy Viking would be buried in a seaworthy ship with many possessions. This ship is the Oseberg in which a wealthy woman was buried, along with her slave girl and horses. I didn't ask the gory details that remained unexplained.

I love the shapes of the boat and the intricate carvings on the prow. There were many artifacts found in the three ships, including some sleighs that were finely decorated with carvings. I took some closeups and I want to do a little research at home -- I'm sure the shapes mean something and I am hoping someone has deciphered them. I am always drawn to shape and plan to paint some pieces from the carvings.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, I hope you enjoy Stockholm! I like your drawing of the boat and the carving; beautiful!

Mary Paquet said...

Peggy, what we've seen is beautiful. We are staying on the waterfront next to Gamla Stan. Today we will view Ander Zorn's work in the National Art Gallery.

Autumn Leaves said...

Mary, this seems truly the trip of a lifetime. It sounds as though you are getting to see so many wonderful and historical things while still finding time to relax and enjoy the simple pleasures of the views and bike rides in the countryside! Glorious! This little sketch is wonderful; personally, I am usually always interested the types of "gory" details you mention here! LOLOL

Mary Paquet said...

Thanks, Sherry, for checking in. Yes, this is a great trip. We try to keep our travels a bit low key so we can relax at the same time.

Charlene Brown said...

I love this blogging-on-the-go, Mary and have mentioned you on my blog today... So now you have to keep doing it!

Mary Paquet said...

Charlene, I am flattered by your mention of my blog. Thanks so much. I am working on a small piece in Estonia this morning.