Saturday, October 31, 2009

Me and Matisse


"Me and Matisse"
22" x 30"
Acrylic
(c) Mary Paquet
Henri Matisse
Henri Matisse

This piece was an exercise on Day 4 in Betsy Dillard Stroud's workshop and we all had great fun doing it. Betsy said to create a painting in the style of Matisse. One of our excellent artists in the Santa Clara Valley Watercolor Society offered to come and pose. She was wearing a terrific outfit. Jane says she is the original "Second Hand Rose." It's difficult with many artists at tables around one model to get a great pose for everyone, and I didn't luck out. So I took a few photos. I drew Jane from one of the photos and embellished the background with Matisse-like shapes, drawing upon these two Matisse images.

We were to paint a full sheet in acrylic. As many of you know, I have almost never done acrylic, but I would like to develop my skills in the medium. I would like to try another "Matisse" sometime. I would go for more lively clear color, saving the greys to show off the bright colors. I would also stylize the figure ala Matisse. This was a fun exercise and I had a blast doing it. Nicely, with acrylics, you can change your mind, and Betsy said to play with design as we went along.

The title of the artwork was Betsy's suggestion. I commented that this was me and Matisse and she told me that it was the perfect title!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mary, This is WONDERFUL! I'd love to see you do more! I think it may bring out a nice part of you! It works!

Mary Paquet said...

Peggy, thanks so much. This piece connects with me personally -- I like the organic shapes and the harmonious neutralized colors.

theresamillerwatercolors said...

This is so beautiful, Mary! Well done!

Mary Paquet said...

Thanks, Theresa!

Mary Lou Arnold said...

Mary, your paintings from the week with Betsy are fabulous! I especially like Me & Matisse - just beautiful! I agree with Peggy - do more..

Mary Paquet said...

Thanks so much, Mary Lou. I want to push myself to do more work inspired by Betsy. "Me and Matisse" was loads of fun.