Monday, October 30, 2017

Toddlers Make Fun Subjects

"Goats Only Please"
15" x 20" Watercolor
In 2016 we were blessed with the births of two granddaughters who have continuedto delight us from both coasts. Sydney, not in this painting, lives in the DC area and Amelia, with her head in the goat rest area, lives nearby. Both sets of parents have done a great job limiting their exposure on the social media sites and sending grandparents photos along with frequent updates. We marvel at how very quickly the infants became real people.

A few months ago, Amelia's mommy sent out photos from a visit to Happy Hollow, a children's park in San Jose with animals and rides. Amelia has visited many times and her favorite animals are the goats. Here she is with her little friend Dierdre. I couldn't resist painting this from Mommy's photo. I loved the way the perspective showed their diminutive size, enhancing the effect of their curiosity.

The hardest thing to paint was Amelia's Alizerin Crimson dress with a pattern, but I liked the stripes and patterns as design elements, so I went for it. I had a blast painting this one and am hoping to do a painting of Sydney soon

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

First of all, congratulations on your two granddaughters. I would have no subjects if it wasn't for my grandchildren. Lol. I'm glad you painted the outfits on these girls because you did an outstanding job !!! Beautiful work!!!!

Candy said...

I love this, Mary! You did a great job!