Monday, June 22, 2015

Another in the Purse Series of Collages

"Beautiful Baubles"
10" x 10" Torn Magazine Collage with Hand-painted Rose
$150
 
In this piece, I expanded my process to include a rose that I painted in acrylic on Arches paper, cut out, an applied with gloss medium. I was inspired by a purse ad that showed a retro purse covered with black and white flowers that a friend gave me. My purse is neither flowers, nor  is it the same shape. It is, though, black and white and I loved the geometric papers I found going through my bins of magazine papers.  The flap of the purse is actually a graphic of high heel shoes!

I then found myself draw to geometric shapes for the background, but I wanted a little excitement so there is quite a bit of variation. The jewels really grabbed me as having potential, so I heaped them on the table. Then I repeated the jewelry theme in the background.

I believe I achieved some amount of simplicity, but it was not without a lot of trial and error. I don't know if I will ever get very speedy at creating my collages.

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I always love your collages, Mary. They are some of the finest out there! But those Alaska paintings?? Be still my heart. You've captured the essence, somehow. These match every image or video I've seen of this beautiful state!

Mary Paquet said...

Sherri,you are always so encouraging. I really enjoyed doing those Alaska paintings!

Mary said...

Mary, your collages are so intriguing and lovely, they make me want to try this art form myself (although it's unlikely I would live long enough to achieve your level of creativity and expertise!). And, I agree with Sherry; the Alaska paintings are absolutely wonderful. Thank you.