Monday, October 28, 2013

Family Fun

"Faster, Daddy"
15" x 14" watercolor
Gilroy Gardens Family Park

The day our Paintsites group created art at Gilroy Gardens, I did a landscape, begun before the park opened. An hour later the families began to arrive for their Saturday outing. Just below the deck where we were painting were the paddle boats, lovely large swans and ducks with two people on board, usually one parent and one child. I grabbed my I-Pad and took a couple photos. I loved this particular scene with the wake linking the two boats.

I began the painting last Thursday night with my South Side Art Club, laying in the washes over the entire page. I saved the white of the bubbly wake using friskit. There was a row of green and white umbrellas on the hill over the pond. I wanted to suggest the background without drawing attention away from the subject, so I toned down the whites of the umbrella, leaving the pure white for the boats and wake. I also suggested foliage and flowers, without defining them too much.

You can read about our group adventure on the Santa Clara Valley Paintsites Blog.

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

So many subtle nuances just make this piece so amazing, Mary. I think it is beautiful and one of my favorites of your watercolors.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I agree with CrimsonLeaves; this is really beautiful, and I love that the two boats are so slightly different in color. Great painting. Aren't those on-the-spot iPads wonderful?

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Hi Mary,
I enjoyed catching up on your blog postings. This one is particularly fun; I enjoy the feeling of light!