Sunday, November 21, 2010

Stormy Weather and a Successful Reception

"Les Trois Artistes"
Jeanne de Campos-Rousseau, Moi, Diana Henrichson

Bob awaits the crowd

The reception begins

Many people braved the stormy weather
and were blessed with rainbows

As we drove the winding highway over the coastal range to Santa Cruz, rain fell in buckets, making driving pretty unpleasant. I worried that not many people who planned to make the hour drive would brave the elements. Vino Primo is upstairs and you walk across an open, suspended walkway between the wine bar and a restaurant to enter. From my sailing days, I estimate about 40 knots of wind blasting us. So much for the careful hairdo! Later we lined the windows to view double rainbows.

Surprisingly, we had a wonderful turnout. People were treated to a glass of wine and appetizers as they browsed the art and chatted. I was delighted to sell three of my paintings during the reception. The first that sold was included in the official show:

"Franken Vine"
16" x 20"
Watercolor

I also sold two unframed pieces: "The Coast", which I've been asked to frame, and "Sunset Over Tuscany", along with a few cards.

One of my brothers lives on the coast, so he and his in-laws joined us, along with some friends, for dinner in Santa Cruz after the reception. We had torrential downpours and a lightening show, though its unusual here to experience electrical storms. Three gallant Bob's lined up on the windward side of the table near the entry door to protect us, where they managed to intercept most of the blown raindrops when people opened the door. We drove back home over storm-swept mountain roads.

11 comments:

Barb Sailor said...

It sounds like you had an excellent time in spite of the exciting weather. Congratulations on your sales of your paintings - not so common anymore in these tight financial times. I didn't know that lightening storms are rare where you are - so interesting. They are so very common here.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Congratulations on a successful show. You look terrific, and very happy.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Congratulations on your sales! I really like the three paintings that you sold. I am glad that the turnout was good in spite of the awful weather and that you made it home safely.

Mary Paquet said...

Barb, I grew up in Vermont where we had many electrical storms. I have never studied why our area of California rarely experiences them. We do earthquakes instead!

Thanks, Hallie, the show was lots of fun.

Christiane, thanks so much for your encouragement. I was really pleased with our turnout.

Margaret said...

Fantastic... I'm not surprised. Can't wait to see more.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary, great photos! And congratulations on the successful reception... three sales! Way cool! And, I like your painting; such rich colors!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a successful show and three sales. That's wonderful. Love the Franken Vine painting. The colors are wonderful.
Jean

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your sales!! Your work is so lovely that I'm hardly surprised. Looks like a great event.

hmuxo said...

Congratulations Mary!! Well deserved! The paintings were absolutely beautiful.. and its so nice to see the person I blog with! Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

Mary Paquet said...

Hilda, I agree that seeing a blog friend is fun, and I wanted folks to see the venue and show. I am having problems right now viewing art on blogspot, so I can't comment yet on your blog. I will catch up.

Mary Paquet said...

Margaret, thanks so much for being a faithful blog friend.

Peggy, the vine painting was just plain fun -- you know how some just fall off the brush -- this one did.

Jean, thanks. Doing the fall colors on the vines was a treat.

Kathy, ah shucks. I appreciate such a lovely comment from an accomplished artist and teacher.