Sunday, June 30, 2013

SCVWS "California Harvest" exhibit


"South Valley Wine on the Vine"
20" x 18" Watercolor
 
 
Every since I saw David Lobenberg's wonderful grape paintings, I've wanted to tackle the subject myself. David is an art professor and will be offering a workshop through our society. I have signed up for it.
 
While attending an event at Guglielmo Winery in Morgan Hill, I took some photos of trellised grapes. I used the reference photos to create a composition of leaves, grapes, and vines. I wanted a somewhat playful version of grapes, enhancing colors of the ripening bunch and suggesting more grapes in the background.
 
The Santa Clara Valley Watercolor Society (SCVWS) is sponsoring an exhibit entitled "California Harvest" at Harvest Coffee House in Morgan Hill (at Dunne and Murphy), so I delivered the art yesterday. The show has a wide range of harvest-related subjects and the work is excellent. I chose wine grapes because there are about 60 small wineries within 20 miles of Morgan Hill, with several being right in the town. The show continues until July 27th, so visit the show if you get a chance. I will be at the reception on July 6, from 4 to 6 pm, when Guglielmo Winery will be pouring wine and there will be appetizers at this free event open to the public.
 
I am especially pleased at the location. Most of our shows are done in venues north of my home. Morgan Hill is south by 10 miles. Our Publicity Chair who lives there found the location, and we hope to broaden our opportunities to show and sell art.  I look forward to seeing how the location works for SCVWS.
 
 

6 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh Mary! These are beautiful! I so love grape paintings and I love love LOVE how you put the grapes in the background. I also love the variety of colors in the ripening grapes. A favorite!

hmuxo said...

This is such a gorgeous piece, Mary!
One of my favorites...I just love all the colors you used in the grapes..unique and beautiful!!!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Delightful grapes! I follow David Lobenberg's blog--lucky you.

Enjoy the reception.

Helen H Trachy said...

Lovely work Mary! You played with different colors and the result is spectacular. Have a good weekend.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Best of luck with the new show venue. I love your grapes!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, I like your "enhanced", creative colors! Wonderful shapes too. I hope your show is a success!