Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Room with a View: "Rocky Mountain High"



"Rocky Mountain High"
7" x 5" Ink and Watercolor Sketch.
 
This little sketch was done on our first morning in Boulder, CO, at the venerable 100-year-old Boulderado Hotel next to the Pearl Street Mall. From my window I could view the "Flat Irons" of the Front Range of the Rockies. Gorgeous tilted rocks thrust into the air, inspiring the name. I drew with a micron pen, painted, then added some additional line, especiall in the rocky areas, using the Elegant Writer Pen. This EW pen is not waterproof, but I did not care as I applied it to dry paper. I've also seen some marvelous work where the artist allowed the ink to run.

Tis a very exciting time with Bob's youngest daughter getting married on Sunday. The grooms parents from the East Coast hosted a family get together, so East could meet West. We had the pleasure of meeting the future in-laws a few years ago in NYC, so it was fun to see them again.

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

What a gorgeous spot this is! The mountains look so tall and steep, so how I imagine Colorado to look.

Mary Paquet said...

Sherry, it is such beautiful country. The peaks are magnificent.